Logo

Swan Owners

Association of America

is the largest group of Swan Owners in the World.

Next Page

Previous Page

Thread: Lithium Ion Battery System for yacht

Created on: 10/10/14 03:49 AM

Replies: 7

USSHuska

Lithium Ion Battery System for yacht
10/10/14 3:49 AM

Dear friends,

I have a swan 391. I am planning for a cross-pacific ocean voyage. I am strongly considering replacing all house batteries with a lithium ion battery pack (and charger & system monitor, etc.). Has anyone had any experience doing so? I would very much like to compare notes and learn. Thank you!

Mark Seeger
USS HUSKA
San Francisco, California, USA

USS HUSKA
Swan 391, #22

Link | Top | Bottom

svkatface

RE: Lithium Ion Battery System for yacht
04/10/15 11:31 AM

Hi Mark,
I have been looking at the same thing for my 46. So far commercial units are above my price range, since I want at least 200 Ah at 24V, and charge control, including thermal runaway, can be an issue. I have a friend who works with me at NASA who i am trying to encourage to build a battery system for yachts instead of aerospace but so far i have nothing today to sell you. Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.
By the way - i suspect by your hull number you could have my sister's old boat. It was named Ensemble. Sailed it with her for several weeks up in the San Juans.
Regards,
TV
SV Katface

Link | Top | Bottom

seegem

04/10/15 6:14 PM

Hi SV,

I think so! She was named Hudson Street when I took her over, but many of the logs state Ensemble. Was your sister the first owner? Thank you,

Mark

Link | Top | Bottom

kenloe

11/29/15 11:01 AM

Hi Mark,
I saw from your post that your hull number is 022. I believe that my father was the second owner of the boat and his best friend was the original owner who had it built. My profile picture is me at the helm circa 1985/1986. It was called Tab Baby at the time with her original name being Newport Seduction. If it's the same one, I've put many a good mile on it and have plenty of stories if interested. For years my father tried to track the boat down to let the new owner know that there was a hidden gun closet in the rear which he neglected to mention when he sold it [it had a gun in it]. He doesn't want the gun but wanted to make sure they knew about it and where it was. If this is the correct boat and you don't already know about it I'd be happy to disclose. I don't want to post it on the board though unless you are ok with it.

Would love to see some updated pictures of it if you still have it.

Link | Top | Bottom

seegem

11/29/15 9:55 PM

Hi Ken, I just sent you a private message, did you receive it? Cheers, Mark

Link | Top | Bottom

kenloe

12/25/15 7:08 AM

Mark
I just sent a reply via private message and an email to you. I can't tell if the private message was delivered or not. It does not show up in my forum message area for some reason. I look forward to chatting more. Merry Christmas.
Keith

Link | Top | Bottom

29palmssailor

10/20/16 1:51 PM

If any of you are still reading this, did anyone ever get a lithium ion battery system? Are they out and affordable now and do you have suggestions or did they fade away?

Link | Top | Bottom

deluxe68

04/12/18 11:53 AM

There are benefits to a lithium system but they are extremely expensive, difficult to maintain, and can be hard to obtain replacements. We are upgrading our batteries later this year with Firefly Oasis foam cores.

Link | Top | Bottom

Next Page

Previous Page

New Post

Please login to post a response.